My finite mind cannot comprehend the extent of God’s grace and mercy. Although I think I understand the method and purpose of salvation, I believe that God’s mercy goes far beyond what I can fathom.
I’ve been on this earth long enough to realize that I am not capable of understanding the magnitude of our Creator’s plan beyond my own lowly, and simple life, and I cannot for one minute size up what is in another person’s heart. The only thing that I can be sure of is that grace and mercy are needed and should be extended to those who cross my path, whether I or they understand the need or not.
My husband’s grandma is 85 and has just recently been placed in a nursing home. Over the length of her life she has attended church regularly and has said her prayers to God and the Saints. Her understanding of Christ is different than mine. I hope she already knows about mercy and grace, as her mind is not able to process new information anymore.
My husband’s grandma is 85 and has just recently been placed in a nursing home. Over the length of her life she has attended church regularly and has said her prayers to God and the Saints. Her understanding of Christ is different than mine. I hope she already knows about mercy and grace, as her mind is not able to process new information anymore.
Her priest came to offer her communion and she found great comfort in the acceptance of it. The knowledge she has of God and his Son Jesus Christ is different than the knowledge and understanding I have of Him. He is my friend and counselor. I am not sure how she understands Christ’s love for her. But, I do believe that when she is fearful she goes to Him. I believe that with whatever cognitive ability she has remaining that she is looking to God for help and salvation.
I may know without a doubt that I am His child and will spend eternity in His presence, and she may not have that surety, but I don’t believe her meager understanding of Christ’s love negates her salvation. God is so much bigger than that. His mercy escapes the box I’ve put Him in. There is not a right way to accept forgiveness or salvation. A generic repeated prayer does not escort someone into the presence of God – it is what’s in a person’s heart that ushers them into Christ’s awaiting arms. A heart that truly reaches toward heaven expectantly "in Christ’s name, receives whatever he asks for. " John 16:24b
Consider the story of the widow who gave her last two coins…."she out of her (spiritual) poverty gave all that she had..." Luke 21:4 (paraphrased). Christ recognized her and saw what was in her heart.
Grace and mercy absorb the lines that are drawn between church denominations and doctrinal beliefs and reach right into the heart of those who seek Him.




No comments:
Post a Comment