Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What Are You Doing Here, Elijah?

Dear Friend,
Yesterday I posted the following devotion.
It is a roughly written piece to say the least. My intention was to give a little of Elijah's history so it would be clear to why he ended up where he did when God asked him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"
I had it in mind to let it settle for a day and then go back to edit and fine tune what God had put on my heart, but when I opened the blog to edit this morning I found, to my surprise, that someone had already read the piece and commented on it.
So, as rough as it is, I'm going to leave it with the hope that God's word, which never returns void, will bless and encourage your heart.
Karen



And the Word of the Lord came to him and said: "What are you doing here, Elijah?
1 Kings 19:9

Elijah, the prophet, dropped into Israel's history "out of the clouds," some commentaries say. Even as a virtual unknown he somehow gained an audience with King Ahab and declared to him:

"As the Lord, the God of Israel, lives, whom I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain in the the next few years except at my word." 1 Kings 17:1

Elijah promptly high tailed it out of there and hid in the Kerith Ravine. He drank from a brook while God provided the ultimate take-out, delivered daily by ravens. When the brook dried up God sent him to a rustic bed and breakfast that was owned by a widow and her young son. While she only had enough flour and oil to prepare their last meal, God miraculously stretched the meager supplies for the remaining of the drought. When widow's son became seriously ill and died, Elijah's prayers brought him back to life.

After three years, God called Elijah to confront Ahab again. Elijah challenged Ahab to bring with him all the priests of Baal and they had a duel, so to speak. The gods of Baal vs. the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel.

When the priests of Baal failed to demonstrate their god had power, Elijah called fire down from heaven which consumed not only his sacrifice, but the alter, and the alter of Baal as well. All of the people who witnessed this demonstration fell on their faces and cried "The Lord - He is God!
Promptly, thereafter, Elijah went to Mount Carmel and prayed for rain and the rains came.

Ahab's wife Jezebel, enraged at Elijah, made an oath to see to his death.

Elijah fled.

After a forty day journey into the desert, we find Elijah camped out in a cave.

I love this pivotal point in Elijah's ministry.
It's not clear if he is seeking God or hiding from Jezebel. This is when God asks him that provocative question,

"What are you doing here, Elijah?

His response was "I've been zealous for you Lord" Now I feel very alone, I'm the only one left and there's a bounty on my head." (paraphrased)

The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by." God then demonstrated His power and control by causing a tornado type wind to rip through the valley; he caused an earthquake to shake the boulders loose from their settings, He brought a fire to consume everything Elijah could see, and then he whispered,

"What are you doing here, Elijah?"

Doesn't that just give you goose bumps? What a vivid picture! God, in essence was saying I am in control of what is happening Elijah. When I speak, what I want to happen happens, but moreover, Elijah, I love you with a gentle hand and I love my people.

I wonder what was going on in Elijah's head? Did he fear Jezebel's death threat? Was his solitude his attempt to get away from everything so he could clearly hear God? Was he trying to work it out in his head as to why his obedience resulted in fury from Jezebel rather than her compliance toward God? Maybe Elijah was saying in his heart, "Lord, I did what you said to do, but this not the results I was expecting."

God said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

The question made him face the battle in his heart and mind.

"What are you doing here, Elijah?" I still have things for you to do. There are seven thousand that have not bowed to Baal and I want you, Elijah, to lead them back to me.

This is such an awesome story and it causes me to ask myself this same question. What am I doing here in my present state of locality and self-reflection? Am I waiting, like Elijah was at the beginning of the story for God's direction, or am I hiding - afraid of where God will lead me next?
Whatever my reason for being here, God's response is the same "Don't get too comfortable, you'll be moving on."

Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for allowing seasons of rest. Please help me keep my heart and mind open to hear you clearly when you tell me it's time to move on.
Amen

2 comments:

  1. This is the second lesson from Elijah that God has placed in front of me this week. I'm thinking God wants me to pay attention. Thanks for your words and insight into Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete