Thursday, December 2, 2010

Resting in Faith

I'm sitting in my chair, my favorite place in the house, watching the rain pour down outside. It's the end of a beautiful Fall season and Chirstmas is quicky approaching. Anticipation is knocking on the door.

I've just finished reading John 18 where he records the story of Jesus' last hours on this earth. A big change was in store and a new season was about to begin. Proceeding this chapter Jesus almost seems in a rush to give his disciples final instruction and warning on what was about to happen.

He gives them so much information that I'm sure the disciples felt overwhelmed and maybe a little dismayed about what he was telling them.

Things have not changed much for the human condition. We always want to know what to expect, to have control and to understand the situation before it happens, but many times what Jesus said didn't make sense to the disciples until after the fact. Same with us, we don't really see His plan until after it unfolds sometimes.

This is where faith and trust become part of our lives. Faith fills the gap between believing and knowing, and trust is the bridge that gets us from one side to the other.

I don't always know where God is taking me next and I live in the gap between where I've been and where I'm going. Faith is the hammock where I rest.


Dear Lord,

The seasons of earth come and go at your command, so do the seasons of my life. Thank you for giving me faith to fill the gap between what I can see and know today and what I hope and believe for tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting those thoughts. I really needed to hear that today! I am very overwhelmed at the thought of having to give away my beloved dog, leave my house, and move across the state to live in a condo near one of my daughters. I really needed to be reminded to rest in that "hammock of faith". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has used you today to touch my heart where I needed it the most. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete