In my quiet time this morning I read from a reading plan that started on January 1 and will take me through the Bible this year if I stick to it. (It is my intention to do so, but I also know that from past experience that when February rolls around I may be finding it hard to sick to my guns when it comes to the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy). As most plans do, it started in Genesis. Today I read the story of Noah and was particularly inspired by what I observed about him.
"Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God." Gen 6:9
Noah was one man among many who walked on the earth at this time in history, yet we see that he was the only one who is recognized as being righteous. The Bible implies that he had an intimate relationship with the Father for it says that he walked with God. I can imagine that this walking also included some talking and praying.
We learn in this passage that God also confided in Noah, for God told Noah that he was going to destroy the earth and all the people in it for "the earth is filled with violence."
Then God gave specific instructions to Noah to build an ark to save his family and a remnant of God's creation from destruction.
Obviously, a trusting relationship existed between them for how else would Noah possibly believe and say yes to such preposterous plans? We don't know that he was a ship builder. We don't know that he was a veterinarian, or a rancher, or even a lover of animals, and here he is saying, "Okay Lord, I will do this thing that no one has ever done before to save my life and my family and all these critters from something that has never happened before."
Building the ark had to be a monumental task and what about collecting all those animals? That must have been harder still. Yet "Noah did everything just as God commanded him." Gen. 6:22
Before this assignment was given to him, Noah was just as obscure in the world as I am. The only thing that singled him out was that he knew the Father intimately. He did not have to be prequalified as a zoologist or a sea captain, or shipbuilder. The only attribute that we see that qualified him for this job was that he walked with God.
What assignment has God given you that you feel unqualified to do? If God is the same today, yesterday and forever, what he required from Noah is the same thing that he requires from you, which is to walk with Him, the other qualifications will follow.
Dear Jesus,
Continue to make this true in my life. I will walk with you daily and you will qualify me for the rest.




How about parenting? After 20 years, I still feel inept much of the time. But God gives the spirit of Endurance! Only thru his strength!
ReplyDelete