Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Christianity in the Trenches


Does the world only see my public Christianity? Do they only see a woman who looks like she has it all together, greeting and chatting like all is well with the world complete a Sunday smile pasted her my face? Do they only see the crisply pressed, buttoned up Bible toting image I portray on Sunday mornings?

What about the Christianity that goes into the trenches with me? The person I am when I'm on the floor pleading with Jesus for strength to put the cookie back in the jar, when I need to turn the television channel but am having a difficult time looking away. What about my Christianity in arguments and disagreements, disappointment and sorrow? Does the world ever see this side of my faith?

It is nothing to be ashamed of. It is the nuts and bolts of why Jesus came. When I hide the guts of Christianity I am hiding the most powerful testimony of all. I have joy because Christ navigates me and helps me out of the rough places. This is praise worthy and should be very public.

If I hide my struggles and the help that comes I'm not reflecting Jesus at all. I'm giving a false impression of who Christ is and why he had to go to the cross.

Let me open the book cover of my life and allow the world to see chapter after chapter the struggles of my humanity and how Christ has come along side and comforted, and admonished, and helped and pruned, and cleansed, and strengthened.

This is the light that shines brightest. This is the light that illuminates the way for the next weary traveler who doesn't feel they can go another step. Encouragement does not come from someone who has never fallen. True encouragement comes from the one who has fallen and has found Jesus at the bottom of the pit. Brokenness and the experience of Jesus' forgiveness is the ladder that enables me the freedom to climb out of the trench. This should not be kept a secret.

Dear Heavenly Father,
I've known you the most and the best when I've been in the trenches. This is when your sweet hand of strength and forgiveness greets me and lifts me up. May I never shy away from sharing the most powerful part of my faith.

This little light of mine, I'm going let it shine. This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine. This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine, let it shine, let shine, let it shine!

Let it shine til Jesus comes, I'm going to let it shine!

"If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness." II Corinthians 11:30

"…My power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12:9

"…a broken spirit and a contrite heart, you will not despise." Psalm 51:17

1 comment: