Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Heaven is Alive, Active and for Real

I've not spent much time thinking about heaven or what transpires there. I mostly focus on the here and now. But what happens in heaven is precisely why we do what we do here on earth. It is our hope of Jesus' power realized immediately, His will being done on earth as it is in heaven. Heaven is what makes today vital and important.

Sometimes I feel I have missed something by being so earthly minded that I have not a clue as to what God is doing from his throne room each day. I treat heaven as a far off distant place that I will get to go to, as if it were a vacation spot that I'm dreaming about and I'll get to eventually. But, heaven and being in the presence of Jesus face to face is the precise reason why I open my Bible, say a prayer or sing a song of praise to God - my hope for being there one day.

Heaven is alive and real and vital to me now, this moment. This is where Jesus is and where His plan unfolds first. It is where He dispatches His angels to do their work here on earth. It is where his will is given the breath of life and is carried on angel's wings directly into my path. He gives instructions and mediates on my behalf from the right hand of the Father.

I've recently read an account of a little boy who experienced heaven while he was undergoing surgery for a burst appendix. The story unfolds as he innocently brings up his experience over a year period of time. It is amazing to see heaven through the innocent eyes of a four year old. I felt as if I was allowed a peek into the pearly gates and caught a glimpse of not only what awaits us there, but also what transpires on a daily, moment by moment, need by need basis. It got my full attention and made me think about the super natural happenings that are taking place all around me without my awareness.

The Bible gives me plenty of reason to think on such things. Jesus mentions heaven over 400 times in the New Testament. In Matthew 18:10 referring to a child, Jesus says "Their angels are always in the presence my Heavenly Father."

Not only do His angles carry out his heavenly business Jesus also says in Matthew 16:19, "And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven."

This amazes me! I can move heaven and earth with a mere breath of prayer and the belief that Jesus can do what He says He can do!

I know that "He makes ALL things work together for my good." It says so in Romans 8:28. And in Matthew 6:10 it says, "May your kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" His will, His good and perfect will gets delivered right to my doorstep each day at His command.

There are many, many more references to explore, but my main point is this; I've always thought of earth as the place where I live and heaven as my destiny. Although I may only see dimly now, the two places directly interact with each other and as a child of God I get to be a part of this amazing Kingdom that crosses the barrier between what we see and what we can't see.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Continue to give me a better understanding about how you operate in this universe. Help me to see more clearly the whole picture. You have set advanced directives in heaven that are too amazing for me to wrap my mind around. Your angels zoom around delivering your grace and mercy and not a thing happens here without your knowledge or direction or angels in full battle gear waging war on my behalf. All of these things originate in your throne room. Open my eyes, like you did with Elisha's servant and let me see angles sitting on chariots of fire. Let me abound in the mystery of your holiness at work all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment