Acts 10:28 "Peter told them, 'You know it is against our laws for a Jewish man to enter a Gentile home like this or to associate with you, but God has shown me that I should no longer think of anyone as impure or unclean.'
"Don't drink, smoke or chew or go with boys/girls who do." Some of us who were brought up in the safety of church walls were taught these things. While this might sound like good advice for youngsters it also bred some judgmental attitudes that have taken decades to shed.
Many of my church going generation who are now middle-aged adults, have walked through life passing judgement and in our wake have caused many to feel unworthy or maybe worse shunned by God.
I have deliberately avoided close association with people whom I've judged unclean. Maybe they lived with addiction, or were unfaithful in relationships or had an abortion. Only in these older years has my heart been broken and I've become aware that in my mis-attempt to live a righteous life I have lived more like a Pharisee than a Christ follower.
Somehow I felt my sins were more forgivable than theirs. Somehow self-righteousness seemed appropriate to me. I was the white washed religious leader who thanked God he wasn't like the sinner who was praying for forgiveness next to him. No, actually I was worse than that, because I know Christ and have called Him my Savior. Maybe I hung around the church most of my life, but I am just as unclean and unholy as the worst sinner.
Jesus Christ entered some of the most despicable venues of His time to bring light and love and acceptance to those who had been shunned and avoided for generations. I am greatly humbled and eternally grateful that Christ has loved me enough to forgive my dispicable heart which has been so unforgiving and self-righteous.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I have less than half my lifetime left to love the way you intend for me to love. Let it make a difference for your kingdom. Help me love the way you love which brings hope and healing not judegment and condemnation. I ask forgiveness and pray for those whom I have pushed away from you and ask a special request that they will see and feel your real love. Please bring them to a correct understanding of who you are, not who I portrayed you to be
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment