Mark 10:41-45
Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever want to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
This statement turns the role of leadership on its ear. In our day, as well as in the days of Jesus, those in authority hold it over those who have lesser rolls.
But look at what Jesus said, "Whoever wants to become great must be a servant."
What? Whoever has heard of such a thing, the master serving his servant, the employer serving his employee? Jesus, himself, the granddaddy leader of all times, came to save the world, but how interesting that He chose the role of servant to accomplish this task.
This is astounding! But not only did the CEO of all creation serve those who followed Him, He even stood in for them when it came to suffering the consequences of their failures.
This example of leadership is radical and amazing! It creates loyalty and devotion, is without animosity and devoid of stepping on others to get ahead, grants acceptance and affirmation, and trains the servant to be a servant leader as well.
"Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever
wants to be first must be slave of all." Jesus, Mark 10:43
I don't know if I lead well, but I know that I can serve and it appears that this is the requirement.




Good post, Karen. I see you follow Proverbs 31? Are you heading to NC to their "She Speaks/She Writes" conference this summer? If you've never gone, from one writer to another, may I encourage you to go. You have a lot of talent and you'd love the writers' workshops.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Dawn!
ReplyDeleteAlthoughI would love to attend the conference, unfortunately it doesn't work for me this year. Maybe in the future.
Thanks again, I appreciate your encouraging comments.
Karen